322/365 – Catalonia – DOQ Priorat – El Molar – Celler dels Pins Vers – La Fuina 2004
……, Well, you don’t know what we can find. Why don’t you come with me little girl……, On a magic carpet ride into the magic of Priorat. Yeah, this is the place to be and if you have never experienced the excellence of this appellation, you should try and get a bottle of red from Priorat and see where it takes you. Maybe on a Magic carpet Ride? Once again, join me and explore yet another small winery!
La Fuina 2004, Cabernet Sauvignon 45%; Garnacha Negra 35% and Cariñena 20%
The climate is Mediterranean with certain tendency to continental nature, dry summers and practically absent rainfalls. The property vineyards are of schist soil (named llicorella in the Priorat region) and coaluvial stony soils; sedimentary soils, formed with a mixture of calcareous materials, river pebbles and eroded slate. The varieties Carignan and red Grenache grow on llicorella soils; Cabernet Sauvignon and Syrah are cultivated on a sedimentary soil with mixture of llicorella and calcareous materials.
The old Carignan vines are grafted in Rupestris de Lot; red Grenache with R-110 and Cabernet Sauvignon with R-110 and 161-49 root-stocks. Carignan vines are more than 50 years old while Grenache and cabernet vines are from 15 to 25 years old. The Plots have small surfaces and the vines are planted in wide terraces or on slopes called “costers”. Some 20% of Carignan vines are cultivated according the traditional method and there is no trellis system, the vines grow as bush vines. With the other 80% grapevines, a vertical shoot positioning trellis system is being used. The vines are pruned in a bilateral cordon, reaching to a vegetation height in the trained vine of 90 cm.
The grapes are weight in the boxes before being deposited into the de-stemming machine, afterwards, the pomace is pumped to the fermentation tanks. Selected yeast are added and alcoholic fermentation starts, it lasts 10 or 15 days according to variety and vintage. The must and peels soaking lasts between 20 and 35 days. Finally, the wine is racked and the paste is pressed. Spontaneous malolactic fermentation takes place and it lasts approximately one month. During winter, and in a natural way, the tartaric stabilization occurs. In February, French oak barrels are filled and the wine is being aged during 12 months. The wine is bottled in April and is kept for reduced ageing in the bottle during 8 months up to a year before labeling.
La Fuïna is the name of one plot in El Molar village. La Fuïna (fouine in French, marten in English, garduña in Spanish and also fagina in Catalan) is a small mammal belonging to the family of mink and marten (Martes foina), that weights between 850 and 1700 grams and that measures 0,5 meters with a long tail which nearly doubles his body length. It is distinguished from Marta (Martes martes) by a spot on the front throat part. Its habitat is spacious, it prefers the mountain but it can also be seen near inhabited areas, while Marta is much more restricted to the Pyrenees area. Fuina prays on small mammals, birds, eggs, but it also eats fruit and honey. It is a very silent animal with corpuscular habits; it is difficult to find it in its natural habitat.
La Fuina 2006, 40% Cabernet Sauvignon: 40 % Red Grenache: 20 % Carignan (Samsó)
Cherry colour with slight purple hue. Aromas of truffles and ripe fruit, blackberry jam and plums. The secondary aromas offer spices and pepper, oxygenating the wine adds a few more touches of toasted hazelnut and minerals. On the palate the wine has a good attack and a tannin complexity, persistent, which fills the mouth forming a structured and balanced wine.
68 to go!